Sunday, February 16, 2014

Crusader Kings 2: Time for a different mode of succession, what could go wrong?

Ok, I really need to work on not dying in battle.  As a little kid, I'm not able to do much politicking until I come of age.  I've totally got this.

Foreign dukes see that there's a child on the throne and lay their claims against me.  They have many allies, including my relatives in Aquitaine, but I have a better ally: Money.  The mercenaries help me overpower their forces.

My eldest relative, a Duke of the realm, starts a faction to change the national succession type to Seniority, where the oldest member of the dynasty inherits the kingdom.  I decide not to oppose him, mostly because I have no money for mercenaries, but also because I haven't been able to do much in terms of consolidating my territory during succession, so I might as well try something different for a while.

7 years later, I'm 16.  I start some plots to have my youngest brother killed so I can inherit his land.  I marry an much older Princess of England.  If I marry anyone of too low a station, I lose a bunch of points, and no one likes that.

My next eldest brother comes of age and rebels.  Once again, it's money and mercs to the rescue.  He's in jail.  I've revoked his dukedom.  More power falls into my hands...

I'm finally able to bribe the spymaster of my youngest brother, and have him killed off.  However, I'm revealed as the culprit!  I've gained the Kinslayer attribute, which means everyone hates me now.

Another relative of mine, a Duke, claims the kingship.  I have money this time around, so I crush his rebellion, revoke a title of his, and throw him in the dungeon.  However, I've been excommunicated, and all kinds of people are declaring war on me.  Not a happy time.  Luckily, I've got tons of reparation money people have been paying me when they lose wars to me, so I have plenty of mercenaries...

Oh crap I've died in battle.  Well, the rebellion is put down, but now super ancient dude Duke Lleweyen is King now.  I only had a daughter anyways, so I guess this isn't a terrible turn of events.  I have discovered a plot where his son is trying to kill him to inherit his land, though.  Which is even dumber now, because with the new method of succession, he won't even inherit my lands anymore.

He won't stop his plot regardless, and he has a ton of backers....

Great I've been assassinated.  Woohoo.  Didn't have much time to get anything done, anyways...

Well well.  One of the Dukes I threw in prison is now the King.  He managed to survive the oubliette for long enough to see the throne.  Unfortunately, he is terrible at everything.  I'll have to see if I can get to Primogeniture succession soon...

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment