Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Crusader Kings II: Crisis of Succession

Ok, everything seemed to be going fine.  I mean, the last succession went off without a hitch, right?  Unfortunately, house I am a part of has gavelkind succession.  That means that every son receives some of the titles of his father.  How many sons did I have? 4. So the first born got the kingdom and a duchy, but there are 2 duchies under my name, and many counties.  The second eldest son got a duchy with 4 counties, and the next son also received a county.

All that, and everyone hated the new kings guts.

Within one year, the next 2 brothers in the family both demanded the kingship.  I said they could rot.  War was on.

Early on in the war, things didn't seem so bad.  I won a couple battles, and even killed one of my brothers vying for the throne.  Victory seemed within grasp.

However, it was not to be.  King Finnsnechtae was killed in battle against the usurper's armies.  I now play as his eldest daughter, Elionora.  Shouldn't be too hard.. wait, she's freaking FOUR YEARS OLD.  Plus, gavelkind succession hits me again, because one of the counties I had control over now goes to my younger sister.

With the Scots and my own freaking grandma siding with my evil usurper uncle, I have no choice but to surrender thing kingdom.

The only goal of Elionora is revenge.  (Vicious little toddler...)  Of course, as a baby, that's not exactly possible.  It will have to wait.

Years go by.  The new king has sent his armies to assist his foreign allies in war.  His troops are depleted.  With the help of mercenaries, victory should be all but certain.  I manage to assassinate my younger sister and inherit her domain.  15 years after the death of her father, Elionora will have her revenge...

Elionora demands the crown.  Her uncle refuses.  War is declared.  His army is pitiful and easily crushed.  Siege is laid to his castle...

But his allies come to his rescue.  The Scots come in over the sea, as does the entire freaking army of the HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE.  more than 17 thousand troops lay siege to Elionora's keep.  Even with 12 thousand men, a larger army than any of her ancestors ever commanded, she fails to break the siege. Her army is crushed.  Her treasury is empty.  Armies occupy every one of her territories.  There is no choice but surrender.

Elionora is imprisoned and executed.  Having killed her sister, no successors remain from her father's bloodline.

But...

Since the kinslayer king is still a member of my dynasty, he is now the first in line to inherit the mantle of the dynasty.  So, after spending 15 years trying to get revenge on the usurper uncle, I now AM the usurper uncle!

To be continued


No comments:

Post a Comment